I am a seasoned developer with years of experience in web startups at every stage. My career has mirrored the major trends of the web from the early days of content portals to instant messaging, social networks, social gaming, mobile web and social apps. I am specifically interested in solving real world problems in ways that might not have been viable just a few years ago.
- PHP Web application development (also Node.js, JSP, ASP, CF). MySQL, Mongo.
- Front-end web development HTML5/CSS3/JS/jQuery, AJAX/JSONP, cross-platform "hybrid" iOS/HTML5 apps.
- Social platform API's (Facebook timeline apps, Twitter, LinkedIn).
- Content systems, media syndication and analytics, XML/RSS.
- Agile, scrum, pair programming, JIRA, pivotal, github flow.
- Ops skills with unix, apache/nginx, ssh, emacs, regex, curl etc.
- Graphics library programming Flash AS3, canvas, processing, SVG.
- Digital photography and filmmaking, graphic design and animation, podcasting.
- B.A. in Film And Digital Media, UC Santa Cruz, 2004.
- Managing projects and small teams, estimating and delegating tasks.
- Planning product, documenting requirements and specifications, flow-charting and wire-framing.
- Prototyping, researching and developing new technology with unknown hurdles. Reverse-engineering sites in the wild.
- Building dynamic UI with a real-world approach to standards, agents and devices, backed with tools for content and analytics.
- Writing, testing and releasing re-usable, maintainable code to millions of users in short cycles.
- Integrating social platforms, third party API's, ad tags, virtual goods, transactions, videos, etc.
- Evolving and monetizing existing product through cautious data-driven iteration, A-B testing and analytics.
- Refactoring legacy code incrementally with short-term work-arounds followed by robust solutions.
- Internationalizing code as it is written.
- Debugging and fire-fighting across the stack.
- Supporting sensitive major brands and clients: Coca-Cola, Skittles, McDonalds, Nike, T-Mobile, CBS, American Idol, Apple, Samsung, Red Bull and Orange.
Lead Front End Engineer
- Managed and deployed the php web application which runs twitvid.com and telly.com.
- Transformed Twitvid into Telly through multiple redesign efforts, while maintaining backward compatibility with legacy site.
- Implemented major site features such as internationalization, analytics, Facebook integration, bookmarklet, onboarding, newer technologies (mustache, less, masonry).
- Site-wide debugging, legacy maintenance.
Lead Platform Engineer
- Managed Facebook platform integration and JS/HTML for two top 100 Facebook games: Mall World (5.6m MAU) and Fashion Designer (3.4m MAU).
- Managed ongoing partner integrations and monetization projects.
- Integrated games into various other social platforms: Orkut / Open Social, MySpace, Hi5, Plinga, Viximo.
- Tuned and optimized viral/social integration points.
- Built core HTML5/canvas technology for mobile.
- Mentored and pair programmed with junior engineers.
- Managed contracting projects and freelance outsourcing during startup bootstrap phase.
Senior Software Engineer,
- Managed the development of the Bebo Engagement Marketing platform of ad products and content and analytics tools.
- Data-driven monetization and re-design of user-facing products reaching 100m+ users, 250m PV's / day.
- Bebo Open Media Platform development and support to media partners such as CBS, MTV, Sony, Ustream, Blip.tv and JibJab.
- Bebo Applications Platform support to ad partners.
- Managed the production of large-budget custom sponsorships, profiles, homepage take-overs, contests, etc. in HTML and Flash for ad agencies and eventually sales teams in NY, UK & Australia.
- Established specifications, documentation and templates for all sponsorship content and ad placements.
- Helped grow Bebo sales revenue to $20m and company value to $850m.
- Front-end development for the core product teams.
- Promoted to sales engineering team, with a focus on monetization and revenue.
- Prototyped social networking integrated IM and entertainment products.
- Developed front-end for a white-label IM platform.
- Produced sponsorship messenger skin content.
Student Web Developer
- Various in-house and open source CMS implementations and updates for campus organizations.
Video Post Production
- Built static and CMS-driven websites for small businesses.
- Authored CD-ROM and DVD content.
- Broadcast animation, compositing and editing.
- Developed front-end for shizznit.com, a youth social network.
- JS, ActiveX development & QA on CD-ROM authoring products.
- Developed custom browser toolbars for clients.
- Authored CD-ROM content for music industry clients.
- Maintained web content for sanluisobispo.com, the newspaper of the Central Coast.
IT Service Manager
- Built and serviced custom computer systems and network installations.